How are MBA grades calculated? (as of Oct 2017)
Yes, there are grades:
To earn your MBA degree, you must:
- Complete all courses in the MBA curriculum within the required time frame.
- Achieve scores of at least 80% in the graded SMARTCASE lessons. (SMARTCASEs can be taken as many times as you want. Only the best score will be counted towards your final grade.)
- Complete the Accounting and Marketing MBA projects by the required due date.
- Complete the midterm and final MBA exams. A score of 70% is considered a passing grade for both exams. While we encourage you to achieve a high score, receiving a score below 70% does not necessarily mean failing out of the MBA program, as SMARTCASEs and participation also contribute to your final score. For more about the midterm, click here. For more about the final, click here.
- Submit the required documents that confirm your identity, eligibility and past academic performance as referenced in your MBA application.
Your grade is weighted in the following way:
- Midterm + Final: 70%
- SMARTCASEs: 20% (your best score for each SMARTCASE)
- Projects: 10%
High participation in the Smartly Slack Community will count as extra credit toward your final program score. You can read more about the Slack Community here.
A final overall score of 70% is the minimum to graduate.
More about the Projects Grade - 10%
Over the course of this program, you will be assigned two projects: an Accounting Case Study and a Marketing Group Project. Case studies—in which the student gets to place him or herself in the role of business decision-maker—are a popular teaching method used to illustrate principles of business. Each case study or project we assign will be accompanied by a prompt and grading rubric. Grading will be based on the thoroughness and accuracy of your response.
You may work on these projects individually or in groups of up to five students. You must submit these projects via email by 12 AM EST on the due date given in the prompt. Be sure to include the names of *all* group members in the submitted document.
More about SMARTCASE scores - 20%
As you progress through lessons in Smartly, feel free to explore different answer options (both correct and incorrect) that trigger helpful feedback. You are not expected to get all "correct answers" while you are learning—mistakes are half of learning, after all—so, you aren't graded on regular lessons. You are graded on SMARTCASE lessons, as mentioned above. Only your top score in SMARTCASEs will count towards your final grade, so you can feel free to take SMARTCASEs as many times as you like.