Student Rights, Privileges, and Responsibilities
Smartly Institute students have the following rights:
- Receive administrative and academic support from Smartly Institute faculty and staff, including such areas as clarification of Smartly Institute policies and procedures.
- File a complaint or grievance with Smartly Institute or other relevant authorities. Full instructions for how to do so are outlined in the Complaint and Grievance portion of this Catalog.
- Request an amendment or revision to their student records to ensure their accuracy and ensure they are not in violation of the right to privacy.
- Prohibit or restrict disclosure of their information to other individuals or entities
- Inspect and review their Smartly Institute transcripts.
Smartly Institute students have the following privileges:
- Freedom from harassment and discrimination: Smartly Institute students may pursue their educational opportunities free from harassment, including physical abuse, threats or intimidation. Smartly Institute provides equal educational opportunities to its students without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, genetic information, disability, or military or veteran status. Smartly Institute prohibits discrimination on any of these bases and will take steps necessary to remedy any instances of such discrimination.
- Freedom of speech: Students may express their beliefs, feelings and opinions so long as the manner of expression does not violate another student’s rights. For specific examples of such violations, please see our Student Code of Conduct.
All Smartly Institute students are subject to local, state and federal laws. Additionally, Smartly Institute students have the following general responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and complete documentation of academic history to Smartly Institute by the given deadline.
- Know and comply with program requirements and expectations.
- Initiate requests regarding dissemination of information, filing of grievances, or other areas of academic or administrative support.
- Communicate with fellow students in a professional, polite manner.
- Refrain from deliberately violating the privileges of any other member, and to consider all actions carefully to ensure that they do not unintentionally violate others' privileges. All Smartly Institute students are responsible for their own actions.
- When necessary, report to the proper authorities any non-academic conduct that violates the privileges of others.